We have received several requests to hold the Speaker Evenings a little earlier, so as to accommodate most people who either have family responsibilities or simply don’t want to stay out too late on a week night. We have moved this Speaker Evening an hour earlier, so as to accommodate both our Speaker’s Schedule and our members’ requests.
Presentation Title: Blades And Knives – The Cutting Edge of Awesome
About the Topic: This month we are honoured to be hosting Neels van den Berg, Bladesmith, Knifemaker, designer and owner of Black Dragon Forge.
As a full-time Bladesmith (American Bladesmith Society Journeyman Smith and member of the Knifemaker’s Guild of Southern Africa), he spends most of his time in his studio workshop. Almost every second is dedicated to learning and/or perfecting some or another aspect of his craft. Smithing is not just a job, but a passionate indulgence…
About the Speaker:
Neels van den Berg started smithing in 2009 and truly lives his passion. He produces practical, high quality, no nonsense cutlery that “delivers the goods” consistently. Cutlery that puts a smile on the face of his client during with every use – no matter whether he is cutting tomatoes, chopping down a tree or skinning his latest trophy.
He also boasts an impressive list of achievements:
- Forged Knife Course – Stuart Smith – June 2009
- Damascus Course – Bertie Rietveld – 2010
- Cable Damascus Course – Tiaan Burger – 2010
- Designing Folding Knives – Tiaan Burger – 2010
- Slip-Lock Folding Knife Course – Herbst – 2011
- American Bladesmith Society’s Introduction to Bladesmithing – Heavin Forge – December 2014
- American Bladesmith Society Journeyman Certification – June 2016
- Voting Member of The Knifemakers’ Guild Of Southern Africa – July 2017
Competitions and Awards:
- Pass SABA Blade Performance Test (Cut & Bend), 13 October 2012, Southern African Bladesmiths Association
- APPRENTICE Classification, October 17 2012, American Bladesmith Society
- Best Art Fixed Blade 2013, Durban Easter Knife Show
- Best Forged Blade 2013, Durban Easter Knife Show
- Pass ABS Journeyman Blade Performance Test (Cut & Bend), 8 Feb 2014, American Bladesmith Society
- Best Dagger (Novice) 2014, Durban Easter Knife Show
- Best Forged Blade (Novice) 2014, Durban Easter Knife Show
- Best Bowie 2014, SABA (Southern African Bladesmiths Association)
- Best Forged Blade 2015, Durban Easter Knife Show
- Best Art Fixed Blade 2015, Baobab Custom Knife Show
- JOURNEYMAN Classification, 3 June 2016, American Bladesmith Society (Atlanta USA)
- Best Art Fixed Blade 2016, Baobab Custom Knife Show
- Best Art Fixed Blade – Point of Interest 2016, Baobab Custom Knife Show
- Best Art Fixed Blade 2017, Durban Easter Knife Show
- Member of the Knifemaker’s Guild of Southern Africa as a Bladesmith – July 2017
- Best New Knifemaker 2017, Knifemaker’s Guild of Southern Africa Exhibition and Knife Show – 18 August 2017
- Best Art Fixed Blade 2018, Durban Easter Knife Show
We are looking forward to seeing you there!
Beverley and the Mensa Pretoria Committee
PS: Please visit out Blog, The Mentor, at http://mensa-mentor.blogspot.com.
PPS: We have a FreeRice.com group, so join the Mensa South Africa Group and make use of your brains to contribute! (http://freerice.com/content-group/mensa-south-africa). Remember to register to join the group.